These are the meals that I make for my family. I try to make well rounded dinners that all can eat. I'm a meat and potato girl by heart, so most of my foods resemble comfort foods. Cuz even if you're trying to lose weight you still need comfort food!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Shepherd's pie





Prep time 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Servings: 8
Points plus value: 8


1 lb lean ground beef (you could sub in 1/2 lb ground chicken 1/2 lb ground beef to make it even less points, but I have low iron so I'm enjoying the full beefyness)
1 onion diced
5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
1 tbsp beef bovril
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce (we call it Wooster sauce in our house!)
1 small carton button mushrooms sliced
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
3 medium potatoes
1 head cauliflower
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup skim milk
salt. pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 tbsp flower

(add or takeaway whatever spices, this is just what I used/had on hand.  I'm not watching sodium as I have low BP, so you may want to adjust that too)

Peel and cube potatoes and put them on to boil.
Put cauliflower in steamer and steam for 30 minutes.  You want them mushy.
Brown the ground beef and drain.
Add in the olive oil, onions, garlic and mushrooms, they'll release water, keep that in there.
Once the onions are clear, add the wooster sauce and bovril and mix in the flour to make the gravy.
Spread beef mixture in the bottom of a large baking dish.  Cover with mixed veggies.
Drain potatoes, add in cauliflower, butter garlic powder salt and pepper and mash until relatively smooth.
Spread potato mixture over meat and veggies.
Bake in oven uncovered at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 mins or until gravy bubbles up the edges and potatoes are slightly brown on top.

Enjoy and think of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment